Mobile World Congress (MWC) is the annual gathering for the mobile industry and related industries, organized by the GSMA, and held in Barcelona, Spain, the Mobile World Capital. With over 101,000 mobile professionals from over 200 countries, 5,500 CEO’s and 57% of the attendees being of a senior level, individuals are able to accomplish more in four days than they can in a month’s worth of meetings or in a year’s worth of travel, because everyone who is part of the industry is in Barcelona for MWC.
Innovation is at the heart of mobile and in today’s super-connected world, everything being created is mobile or has a mobile component. Mobile-driven homes, Mobile-intelligent vehicles, or Mobile-enabled cities. On February 22, 2016, Steve Brumer, Partner at 151 Advisors moderated an impressive discussion ‘on how to make smart cities’ with representatives from leading IoT companies and government agencies at Mobile World Congress. Although there is still a lot of work and education to be done, Smart Cites is not a new concept and the amount of services and applications that are available to deploy is forever expanding. Cities are becoming more efficient and smarter by the day.
While most smart city deployments still exist in silos, more common platforms are emerging to help facilitate communication. As more cities become ‘smart’ it creates the perfect opportunity for them to learn from each other, share more insights with experts and make more decisions in order to improve the quality of life for its citizens. In this panel, industry experts were brought together to showcase examples of successful deployments of smart systems throughout the world. The panel discussions centered on what wireless carriers, governments and platform providers need to do to harmonize efforts to improve sustainability, economic performance, and quality of life while also reducing environmental impact.
What do citizens really need from smart cities? What does a truly “Smart City” look like? How can common platforms help build synergies within and between cities, allowing them to share information and services? What is the social and environmental impact of a smart city? All these questions and more were answered by the expert panelists at the Smart Cities Sustainability Conference that started with a 10-minute presentation by Chen Jie, Senior Vice President of ZTE Corporation, and followed with two separate panel discussions.
- Steve Brumer – Partner at 151 Advisors, has over 25 years experience in the wireless/mobile space and has unprecedented knowledge of the M2M /IoT industries. He is an active presenter/speaker in the wireless industry, having spoken on wireless technology, products, and future trends at CTIA, Wireless IT, CIO Symposium, C3 Expo & AFSM.
Speakers and Panelists included:
- Chen Jie – Senior Vice President at ZTE Corporation
- Francisco Rodríguez Jiménez – Manager at the Municipal Institute of Information Technology (IMI) – Barcelona City Council
- Vijay Sammeta – CIO at the City of San Jose, CA
- Selina Lo – President & CEO at Ruckus Wireless
- Shrikant Shenwai – CEO at Wireless Broadband Alliance
- Mike Zeto – General Manager at Smart Cities – AT&T Mobility
- John Ellis – Software Developer & Business Development Veteran, MD at Ellis & Associates
- Charlie Sheridan – Director at Intelligent Cities Lab, Intel
- Hany Fam – President at MasterCard Enterprise Partnerships